So, you’ve got Georgia on your mind, and you’re wondering if CBD is permitted. The answer is, it depends on the THC content and where the CBD comes from.
Georgia law conforms with federal law, which says CBD oil made from industrial hemp that doesn’t exceed 0.3% THC is legal. Higher THC CBD oil is only legal for those with qualifying medical conditions and a doctor’s recommendation under the state’s medical cannabis program. Penalties for other use of cannabis range from misdemeanor to felony offences.
Georgia CBD Laws At A Glance
When it comes to CBD in Georgia, here are the big points you need to know:
• Hemp-derived CBD oil with ≤ 0.3% THC is legal in Georgia.
• You can buy CBD at brick-and-mortar stores or online.
• CBD with THC concentration above 0.3% and up to 5% is legally available through the state’s medical cannabis program. This is the only form of cannabis approved through the program.
• Medical marijuana patients must obtain their cannabis oil through the Georgia Access to Medical Cannabis Commission or a licensed dispensary.
• Recreational marijuana is illegal and punishable by criminal charges.
Is CBD Legal in Georgia?
It’s totally peachy if you want to indulge in CBD oil in Georgia. Just make sure it doesn’t exceed the legal THC limit of 0.3%, and be sure it’s made from hemp.
Georgia’s medical marijuana program is limited and specific. If you have a qualifying medical condition and a Low THC Registry Card, CBD with up to 5% THC is available. It’s the only form of cannabis available through the program. (FYI — The state considers cannabis oil with less than 5% THC to be low THC, not to be confused with the virtually no THC (≤ 0.3%) in the federally legal stuff.)
Be aware that all other use of marijuana is strictly prohibited. Get caught and it could result in a misdemeanor or felony offence.
It’s tough to sum up Georgia’s stance on cannabis without recognizing it’s been through some changes on the political front. Historically, the state’s on the stricter side. But more legislators are in favor of reforming cannabis laws as of 2021, making GA one to watch for changing policies.
- Georgia’s high-CBD, low-THC medical cannabis program kicked off in 2015 with the passing of HB 1, Haleigh’s Hope Act. This law legalized high-CBD, low-THC medical marijuana oil. It also created the Low THC Registry Card, Georgia’s version of a medical marijuana card. Oddly, buying, selling and transporting CBD remained illegal. Patients had to order through the mail or drive to other states to obtain their CBD.
- In 2019, HB 324 expanded cannabis oil access for Low THC Registry cardholders. It includes a plan to regulate production, manufacturing, and dispensing of medicinal cannabis oil. Dispensaries must be licensed, which is still a work in progress in early 2021. Until they open, the Georgia Access to Medical Cannabis Commission can order cannabis oil for registered patients.
- HB 213, the Georgia Hemp Farming Act opened the door for an industrial hemp industry in 2019. It matches the 2018 Farm Bill and federal regulations for the production of industrial hemp. This means the production and sale of hemp-derived CBD products with no more than 0.3% THC is legal in Georgia. CBD may not be added to food, beverages, or dietary supplements.
Is CBD Legal In Georgia? CBD Shopper’s Guide
Looking to purchase CBD oil in Georgia? You’re in luck! CBD products are legally available at brick-and-mortar stores. Assuming they have Wi-Fi in The Peach State — and we’re pretty sure they do — you also have CBD online stores at your fingertips. Simply locate a trustworthy retailer and take your pick of shopping methods.
Purchase CBD At Brick & Mortar Stores
There’s a lot of things to love about Georgia, and local access to CBD is one of them. You might spy CBD oil products on the shelves of your local health food store or pharmacy, or find it at your local smoke shop. Since the quality of CBD products can vary widely, find a shop with knowledgeable staff and a good selection.
Medical CBD must be purchased at a licensed dispensary.
Buy CBD Online
Georgia makes it easy to purchase CBD in person, but you might find it more convenient to shop online. Whether you can’t find your favorite CBD products in stores or prefer the ease of filling a virtual cart, online shopping for CBD is a great option in Georgia.
You can safely buy CBD products online from Pure Craft. In fact, here are some high-quality CBD products that’re popular near you:
Learn More About CBD Laws In Georgia
If you’d like to go into full legal scholar mode and do some more research on CBD laws in Georgia, check out these resources.
- Georgia Department of Health: Low THC Oil Registry Page
- GA Access to Medical Cannabis Commission
- Georgia Hemp Program
- Relevant Georgia laws: HB 1, HB 324, HB 213
Georgia & CBD Legality — Bottom Line
Hemp-derived CBD with up to 0.3% THC is legal in Georgia. You can buy this CBD at retail outlets or order it online.
CBD with up to 5% THC is legal for Low THC Registry cardholders, which is open to patients with qualifying medical conditions. This is the only form of cannabis available through Georgia’s limited medical marijuana program.
Recreational marijuana is legal. Penalties are harsh for those who violate the law.
We’re not legal professionals or otherwise qualified to offer legal advice. So, while we do our very best to be thorough, up-to-date, and 100% correct, the content above is for informational purposes only. Please also note that the laws surrounding CBD are subject to change. We recommend checking our source(s) to see if the information or legal status have been revised since our content was published.